Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Guinness Bread with Honey


Since Elisabeth (my roommate) and I are both in college, I thought that a recipe using beer was appropriate, although we are not exactly drinkers ourselves. I choose other menial pass-times like taking classes, teaching labs, traveling the world, showing the love of Jesus, and oh yeah, being a full time graduate student in Ruminant Nutrition... little stuff...

Since this is my first food blog, I feel I should have something witty to say to capture your attention. I don't. I simply want to have this blog to record the trials and tribulations of our trailer trash treats. I would say my roommate and I are pretty great cooks, but I'll let you decide that.

First, I hate beer. I hate the way it smells, tastes, and makes fraternity boys act. Oddly enough, I like it in Beer Cheese Soup, chili, and bread. Hence Guinness bread with Honey. Almost bitter, but slightly sweet with the Honey (you can also use Agave Nectar).



First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Next whisk together 3 cups of flour with 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, and 2 teaspoons of salt.
Add one bottle of your beer of choice (I beg you not to use something like Natural Ice... BEG) - I used Guinness because I have no knowledge of beer and that is what my dear roommate bought for me to make this bread - and stir into flour mixture.
Lastly, add 2 tablespoons of honey to the dough and mix with a wooden spoon.
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter and pour it into a loaf pan.
Add the bread dough.
Melt another 3 tablespoons of butter and pour over the top.
Cook for 55 minutes. Enjoy!

List of ingredients:
3 c AP flour
2 Tbs granulated sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 bottle beer
2 Tbs honey (Agave nectar)
6 Tbs butter, divided

-Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment